VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a technology that encrypts and reroutes your internet connection through a remote server, providing a secure and private online browsing experience. A VPN also enables you to access blocked content by masking your IP address, which is helpful for users who want to bypass geographical restrictions.
In this article, we’ll find out What are VPNs? Why do people use them, reasons to turn off VPNs on your devices, and finally, how to disable or turn off VPNs on iPhones, iPads, Android smartphones, Mac Computer, Windows laptops/PC, Linux Ubuntu, Chromebooks, Cisco routers and Amazon Firestick.
Table of contents
- What are VPNs?
- Why do People Use VPNs?
- Reasons to Turn Off VPN on Your Devices
- Turn Off VPN on an iPhone and iPad
- Disable VPN on Android Mobile Phones and Devices
- Disable VPN on Chromebook
- Turn Off VPN on Windows 10, 11 and Other Versions
- Turn Off VPN on Mac
- Disconnect VPN on Linux
- Disable VPN on Firestick
- Disable VPN on Cisco Routers
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are VPNs?
VPN stands for virtual private network and is a secure tunnel between two points on the internet that allow users to securely send and receive data across public networks as if they were operating from the same local area network. VPNs are used by businesses, individuals, governments, law enforcement agencies, educational institutions, and more.
Why do People Use VPNs?
People use VPNs for various reasons, such as to protect their online privacy, accessing blocked websites, bypassing firewalls, and securing online activities. VPNs are especially crucial for users who use public Wi-Fi, which are highly insecure networks that expose them to various cyber threats.
Reasons to Turn Off VPN on Your Devices
You might want to switch off the app for several reasons.
- One of the main reasons is that VPNs can lower your internet speed since it reroutes your traffic through a remote server. If you want to stream content on platforms like Netflix, Hulu, or YouTube, turning off your VPN will help you enjoy the content without buffering or lagging.
- Another reason is to access location-based services that restrict VPN usage. For instance, if you want to access your bank account or any other location-specific services, you might need to disable your VPN since banks or certain apps block the requisite connections.
- If you’re experiencing issues connecting to a website or app, it might be due to the VPN connection. In such cases, disabling it could help you solve the connectivity issues.
Turn Off VPN on an iPhone and iPad
To disable VPN on your iPhone and iPad, all you need to do is:
- Go to your iPhone’s settings.
- Tap on General.
- Scroll down and Tap on VPN & Device Management.
- Tap the VPN from the list of available and connected VPNs you want to disable.
- Tap the toggle next to the Status button from right to left to turn it off.
- The button will turn from Green to Grey, indicating the app is disabled.
That’s it! You have successfully disabled your VPN on an iPhone.
To re-enable, follow the same steps and toggle the Status button to turn it back on.
Go to Settings, tap on VPN, swipe the Toggle from right to left in front of the Status button, and the button will go Grey from Green.
Disable VPN on Android Mobile Phones and Devices
To turn off VPN on an Android device, follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Network & Internet Settings or Connection Settings and look for the More Connection Settings.
- Tap More Connection Settings and find the VPN profile.
- Tap the gear icon or VPN name to disconnect from your VPN service.
To turn on again on your Android smartphones, repeat the above 2 steps and in step 3, tap the Gear icon or VPN Profile and turn it on.
Disable VPN on Chromebook
Disabling VPN on Chromebook is a simple process, and you can do it in just a few steps. To turn off a the virtual private network on your Chromebook, here’s what you should do:
- Locate the “System Tray” in the bottom right corner of your screen where the Time/Wifi icon is displayed.
- Look for the VPN icon and click on it to open the VPN settings.
- Lastly, find the “Disconnect” button and click on it to deactivate it.
Turn Off VPN on Windows 10, 11 and Other Versions
If your Windows PC is configured with VPN parameters, then follow these simple steps to disable VPN on Windows 11, 10, and other versions:
- Click the “Windows Start” button, search for “Settings App,” and open it.
- Then click on “Network & Internet.”
- Now, select the VPN from the Windows left panel.
- Click on the VPN from the list of VPNs you want to disconnect.
- Now, click on the “Remove” button.
- Again Click on the “Remove” button to confirm to turn off VPN on Windows.
If you use any third-party VPN, you can turn it off by right-clicking the VPN app icon from the Taskbar in the lower right corner of the desktop.
Turn Off VPN on Mac
You can disable the virtual private connection from System Preferences or remove the connection profile. Here’s how:
Turn Off VPN on Mac through Configurations Box
If you’ve set up your VPN directly through the operating system rather than using an app, don’t worry! Disabling it is still a breeze. Simply access the configuration window and follow these easy steps:
- Open your Mac’s System Preferences and click Network.
- Select the VPN service you want to disable from the list of network connections shown in the left panel.
- Click the Minus (-) icon below it, then press “Disconnect” or “Remove.”
Turn Off the VPN on your Mac Using the Application
To disable/disconnect your VPN on Mac through the applications, you can follow these straightforward steps:
- Open the VPN app that you have installed on your Mac.
- Look for the option to disconnect or turn off the VPN connection within the app’s interface.
- Click on that option to deactivate the VPN.
It’s worth mentioning that while most apps use the term “disconnect,” you might come across some apps that use different terms like “stop,” “turn,” or “off.” Watch for these alternative labels if they appear in your specific app.
Disconnect VPN on Linux
So, to turn off a VPN on Linux, follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Open a terminal window on your Linux system.
Depending on the VPN client you are using, use one of the following methods:
- Open VPN: If you’re using OpenVPN, press CTRL + C in the terminal window where you started OpenVPN.
Cisco AnyConnect VPN: look for the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client in your system tray and click on it. Then, select “Disconnect.”
If you’re using other VPN clients, such as CyberGhost VPN or PureVPN, follow these general steps:
- Open the VPN client software or application.
- Look for a menu or button to disconnect or turn off the VPN connection.
- Click on the appropriate option to disconnect from the VPN34.
Remember to check for any warnings or prompts that may appear during the disconnection process. Following these steps should help you successfully turn it off on Linux.
Disable VPN on Firestick
Streaming devices like Amazon’s Firestick have become incredibly popular, changing how we enjoy digital content. The Firestick is a small device with an easy-to-use interface that brings immersive entertainment right to our fingertips. It lets you stream movies, TV shows, music, games, and even live sports, offering a whole range of features that keep us hooked.
Streaming devices have transformed how we consume digital content, and Amazon’s Firestick is a famous player in the game. Its sleek design and user-friendly interface bring entertainment right to your fingertips. From streaming movies and TV shows to accessing music, games, and even live sports, the Firestick offers a range of features that keep us glued to our screens. You can use VPNs on Amazon Firestick to watch restricted content.
However, disabling VPN on your Firestick can improve your streaming performance and enhance your overall entertainment experience.
Now, let’s dive into how you can do this.
- On your Fire TV remote, click on “Settings.”
- Locate “Applications” by moving left or right on your remote.
- Select “Manage Installed Applications” from the options available.
- Select the VPN app you want to remove from your Firestick.
- Click “Uninstall” to remove the desired app from your device.
Before you delete the app, it is advisable to clear its data and cache first. Click “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache” to delete the temporary data the application has collected.
Disable VPN on Cisco Routers
To turn off VPN on Cisco Routers, follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Log in to the Cisco router’s web-based utility or access the router’s command-line interface.
- Navigate to the VPN configuration section. The exact location and terminology may vary depending on the router model and firmware version.
- Identify the Virtual Private Network connection or tunnel you want to disable.
- Disable the VPN connection or tunnel by removing or deactivating the configuration.
- Save the changes to the router’s configuration.
- Verify that it has been successfully turned off by checking the status of the connections or tunnels.
In conclusion, turning off a VPN is a simple process that requires a few clicks or taps. Whether you want to disable VPN on iPhone, Android devices, Windows 10, Windows 11, Mac, or any other device, the steps are straightforward. Also, disconnecting a VPN or Proxy will expose your online activities to cyber threats. Therefore, only switch off a VPN if necessary, especially when using public Wi-Fi networks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans 1: To disable VPN on Windows devices, follow these simple steps: Click the “Windows Start” button, search for “Settings App,” and open it. Then click on “Network & Internet.” Now, select the VPN from the Windows left panel. Click on the VPN from the list of connections and then click on the “Disconnect” button.
Ans 2: To turn off a VPN on Mac devices through the configurations box, open your Mac’s System Preferences and click Network. Select the VPN service you want to disable from the list of network connections shown in the left panel. Click the Minus (-) icon below it, then press Disconnect or Remove.
Ans 3: Disconnecting a VPN on Linux Ubuntu is a very easy process. To turn it off, open a terminal window on your Linux system and use the appropriate command for your VPN client. For instance, press CTRL + C in the terminal window where you started OpenVPN or look for the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client in your system tray and click on it to select the “Disconnect” option.